We embrace an inquiry-based approach to teaching and learning that is focused on backward curricular and instructional planning with an emphasis on student transfer of discrete knowledge and skills. Our teachers provide instruction at an exploratory-understandng level.
This means that teachers encourage investigative and reflective learning. Investigative learning means that students work individually and in groups with the assistance of their teacher to investigate issues and problems that interest them. Reflective learning means that students with the aid of their teachers identify inadequacies or immaturity in their thinking and work to refine and improve their thinking.
Our inquiry-based approach is rooted in 10 components of curricular design:
- Mission and Vision
- Curricular Philosophy – Principles of Learning, Teaching, and Curriculum
- PA Common Core Standards
- Big Ideas from School Mission and PA Common Core Standards
- Curricular Maps
- Backwards Curricular Planning
- Cornerstone Assessments with Exemplars
- Analytic and Longitudinal Rubrics
- Diagnostic and Formative Assessments
- Inquiry-based Instructional Strategies